The History and Geography Learning Areas develop students’ understanding of how individuals and groups live together and interact with their environment. Students develop a respect for cultural heritage and a commitment to social justice, the democratic process and ecological sustainability.
In Pre-Kindy and Kindergarten the children:
- build upon their understanding of how individuals and groups live together and interact with their environment
- develop a respect for cultural heritage and a commitment to social justice
- contribute relevant ideas and suggestions from direct experience or from a stimulus provided
- assemble, collect and identify relevant information in activities
- sort information into simple categories and talk about ways of organizing information
For Pre-Primary students, the History Learning Area covers both personal and family history eg stories of different cultures and parts of the world, exploring families, where they were born, the structures of families and how they celebrate events in their lives. Past and present events are explored as is sequencing familiar events.
The focus for Geography in Pre-Primary is exploring the place we live in and looking at its features. From this we explore maps, how specific places are special to us and ways we can look after these places.
At Aranmore Catholic Primary School we celebrate ANZAC Day, Remembrance Day, Harmony Day, NAIDOC Week and Reconciliation Week.