Aranmore Catholic Primary School has four factions steeped in history relevant to the school’s history and the children proudly wear and celebrate their faction colours.
The Venerable Mother Catherine Elizabeth McAuley was an Irish nun who founded the Sisters of Mercy in 1831. She ministered to the poor, sick and uneducated. Her charitable way was considered a shining light and reminds our children that charity must be in our hearts and from our hearts.
Since its earliest foundations, education has been a significant part of the ministry of the Sisters of Mercy. They have always recognised the importance of education as a crucial way for both children and adults to reach their potential.At Aranmore, the Mercy cross is integral to the school’s logo and it reminds our children to take up the cross and serve others with compassion.
Arranmore (Árainn Mhór) is the largest inhabited island of County Donegal, and the second largest in all of Ireland. It is the place from where the school takes its name.
In March 1919 St Mary’s Parish, Leederville was established with its own parish priest, Father Moloney. He was born in Limerick, Ireland in 1882 and was educated by the Christian Brothers at Charville, France. After arriving in Western Australia, he served at a number of parishes including Aranmore Catholic Primary School’s local parish, St Mary’s, Leederville. He died in February 1958.